Food and Fitness

Friday, May 30, 2014

DIY Maxi Skirt

I've been in a pseudo sewing slump lately, meaning that I've being participating in sewing activities, but haven't produced many if any completed garments.  That is until yesterday.  One of the members of the sewing group I'm in reached out to say hi and to check on me because I hadn't been sewing much.  So I headed to the bins to see what I could find to make myself a maxi skirt to wear today.  Because I've been losing a bit of weight, I didn't want to use any of my favorites so I searched for something that I could easily part with when it becomes too big. Funny thing is, now that this is finished, I LOVE IT!


This skirt is made for walking on a nice breezy day.  It was so comfortable to wear and the way that it moved in the wind was beautiful.  I didn't use a pattern for this one I just used a 60" width ITY knit, folded in half, measured from waist to desired hem length and added two inches, cut two panels that long and sewed the panels together, added 3/4" elastic at the waist and added a 1" hem. Easy Peasy!  So look for more of these as I will definitely be making more.  It's a great way to show off a nice print, be Summer ready and a great stash buster. 


As I was posing for this picture, my 7 year old asked me if my skirt was a Peacock.  I hadn't noticed the resemblance before but he's spot on, except the male peacocks are the ones with all the pretty colors, but you get the idea.


9 comments:

  1. Also great job with the weight loss. Check out MimiG's Work It Wednesday post for great information. And also any skirt with elastic at the waist will never get too big when you know how to sew. Keep it going girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric--it drapes beautifully. Just goes to show when we are in a slump we can still make a great easy-peasy project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty maxi and congrats on your weight loss. .. you look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty skirt..Looks nice on you.. Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl you have been working it. Your maxi skirt looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete