Food and Fitness

Friday, August 9, 2013

Mimi G's Off The Shoulder Maxi Dress

A little while back Mimi G posted an off the shoulder maxi that I thought was too die for.  She eventually made a tutorial available for it which can be found at www.mimigstyle.com.  I have actually already made two versions of this dress but I still need to hem the second one before I post it.  I used French terry for this one because I really wanted it to be a warm and cozy casual dress.  This was probably due to the change in weather here as it's a good 20 degrees cooler than it was last week.  I also had the bright idea in the middle of the night to use a piece of faux leather I had in the stash to create a contrast on a two part sleeve.







Pattern Description: Off the shoulder maxi dress

Pattern Sizing: pattern is drafted to your measurements

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty close.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Mimi is an excellent teacher and her directions are always so clear and easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? This went together with such ease and I think you get a really sophisticated look for not a lot of fuss.  I also like that the pattern is so versatile.  This pattern lends itself to becoming a TNT.

Fabric Used: French Terry and faux leather.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  The only change I made was to use a two part sleeve and make the bottom half out of faux leather that I had in the stash.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Absolutely, I already have.

Conclusion:   This is another winning tutorial from Mimi at mimigstyle.com.  What I love about this and the other tutorials I've made is that you can just change up the fabric and embellishments and build an entire wardrobe around these 5 or 6 easy basic pieces.


7 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic!! I love what you did with the contrasting sleeve. I just started watching the tutorial yesterday although I don't have the pattern. I think I can adjust another one though and might do that this weekend!! Until the pattern goes on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you took it to another level by adding the faux leather sleeve. This dress look fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that look--so many possibilities with that pattern

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative! This turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very nice. I love the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly, I love your dress! A great look for the fall/winter seasons. Your sewing talent and sense of style is very impressive! I met you a little over a year ago at Mimi G's first sewing weekend. My husband and I traveled from Texas. We couldn't make it to the last one, but look forward to next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that you added leather sleeves!

    ReplyDelete