Food and Fitness

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Finally She's Done - B5562

Well it's taken me almost a month to the day, but I've finally finished B5562 View B




It's hard to see the gathering details in black.

The added length helps to prevent the shirt from exposing me when bending over, which with three little ones, I seem to do all the time. (Me being silly with my tiny photographer)

Pattern Description: Close-fitting, pullover tops A, B, C, D have stitched hems. A: short sleeves. A, B: elasticized sleeves. C: puckered, below elbow sleeves. A, B, C: narrow hemmed neckline and gathered sleeves. D: draped, gathered, elasticized collar. B, D: long sleeves.

Pattern Sizing: Y(XS-S-M), ZZ(L-XL-XXL)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? I think so.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Super easy instructions although I didn't really use them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the interesting sleeve detail and that it works up so quickly (that is if you can work on it consistently). I found that I didn't quite like the bateau neck line as it doesn't quite work for those of us with sloping shoulders. A V-neck or the scoop neck as featured in M6164 would have been preferred so I wouldn't have had to play hide the bra strap all day.

Fabric Used: A cotton-poly knit from fabric.com. This fabric just had 2-way stretch, selvage to selvage. I will be sure to use fabric with 4-way stretch should I make this again as you actually have to re-fold the fabric end to end in order to accomodate the sleeve so you loose the crosswise stretch.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did about a 1 1/2 inch FBA using the pivot method and added 2 inches to the length so it would cover areas I don't want to advertise. When I make this again, I will cut the elastic a bit shorter. I have have short arms so I could have used just a bit more gathering.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will definitely be sewing this again many times. I can see it becoming somewhat of a TNT as long as I can get away with the gathered sleeves. I would definitely recommend this to others.

Conclusion: This is a great, stylish little top, especially for those looking for instant gratification or the beginner.

If feels good to finish my first project of 2012, there's definitely something to this sewing in small increments when I can rather than waiting until I have huge chunks of time to sew, I'm already tied with production from last year. On to my next project.



15 comments:

  1. I like your top. I also have sloping, narrow shoulders. I think I'd like to try this top in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce, you should definitely give it a try.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your '12 first project. Yes, there is definitely merits to sewing in small increments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning, it seemed like I would never finish but once I got the sleeves done I felt like I was on a roll.

      Delete
  3. Well done getting it finished. It looks great and a lovely addition to your wardrobe. Thanks for the info on the 4 way stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute top and like joyce have sloping shoulders and think gathered sleeves would lift them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The neckline is wide and "flat" so it slides around on the shoulders. I'll definitely won't cut it as wide next time.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It definitely came in handy at my son's EARLY Saturday morning basketball game. It was cold in that gym.

      Delete
  6. Hooray! I'm a slow sewist too. Looks like a winner on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, I want those sleeves! This is so frisky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great on you. I always lengthen shirts too. I'm a teacher and it's a good thing I teach little ones who don't care about such things - because I've made the mistake of wearing some revealing shirts in the past!

    Nothy Lane
    www.aftagley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete