Food and Fitness

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Finally, My First Finished Project of the Year or B5211


I apparently need to add balance to the list of things I pray for. After not sewing finishing anything all year, I have finally finished this dress. I actually had this 90% completed since Fall 2009 and got distracted and then it was Spring, then I was pregnant Fall 2010 so finally I was determined to finish this dress and wear it this year. Actually for weeks, night after night I kept saying "I just need to put the elastic in the sleeves and hem it and it's done, I can knock that out and wear it tomorrow." And then . . . Nothing. Imagine my surprise when I found myself up at 4am yesterday at my machine finishing the dress so I could wear it to work. I was again reminded that often for me it's all or nothing. I recently got a few new RTW pieces what with the birthday and all and that was nice, but there was no comparison to how good it felt to wear something I made again. I definitely have to make more time sew.

Pattern Description: Dresses A, B, C have back neck opening with button and thread loop closure, extended shoulders and topstitching detail. A: front upper and lower sections. B: self-belt. C: gathered sleeve with elastic casing, length 2" above mid-knee.

Pattern Sizing: F5(16-18-20-22-24)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?: Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were so easy I didn't even need to use them.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?: I like the sleeve detail and that there are in seam pockets in the dress great detail for a work dress (I need a place to carry my keys).

Fabric Used: A cream and black double knit from Denver Fabrics that I fell in love with the minute I got my hands on it.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made my standard FBA and omitted the key hole opening in the neckline in the back.

Would you sew it again?:
Would you recommend it to others? When I originally chose this pattern I thought I would sew it just once, however after seeing how comfortable this is to wear, I will probably make at least one more. I would definitely recommend it, especially to beginners.

Conclusion: This is a really easy pattern and makes a really comfortable dress with pockets no less, a winner in my book. It is OOP but if you have it in your stash or can get your hands on it give it a try.



Pocket love.

And because I don't want people saying about me the things I say about them when they don't provide shoe details, here is a close up of the booties (Steve Madden).

Steve Madden ankle booties

Steve Madden ankle booties (see more suede boots)

Now on to what to wear for Christmas.




8 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing the dress. It is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great on you. Bet you are relieved you have now actually got it finished. It does look so comfortable. Love rhe comfy dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me like the whole outfit...welldone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Something finished this year AND crossing a UFO off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your first project for 2011! Cute dress. I finished my first pair of pants for 2011 this weekend! I believe that 2012 will be a better year for me as far as my finished sewing projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo Hoo on finishing your first project this year. I love the bold print and the ankle boots look fantastic with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking dress, Kelly. Congratulations on finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute dress! I love the fabric! Very bold and stylish!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete